Belt or zone which extends along the water line, occupied by unconsolidated material, moving sand or shore drift. The shore inland from the water line to the place where there is a marked change in material or physiographic form, or to the line of permanent vegetation.



UNESCO/WMO International Glossary of Hydrology (2nd revised ed., 1992)

Posted on February 4, 2014 .